Swan Song

Swan Song - Robert R. McCammon Okay, I made it! Finished SWAN SONG tonight.

If reading anything negative about this book would make your head explode, then stop reading now. You've been warned. Just my opinion, and I'm entitled to it.

Overall, I would say this book was only about a 3 and a half star read for me. I can definitely see why so many people love it, and I imagine it would have been a hell of a lot better for me personally had I read this back in the late eighties as a teenager when the cold war was at its peak and nuclear winter was a widely accepted theory.

Still, I did find a lot to enjoy in the book. The first couple hundred pages were my favorite, really like a time capsule back into the RED DAWN and DAY AFTER TOMORROW era. Though a higher level of suspension of disbelief was required than I expected from the book, I went with it and had a lot of fun. It was definitely more "BOOK OF ELI" than "THE ROAD" if I were to make apocalyptic movie comparisons.

It began to lose me, however, around the point when the travelers arrived in Mary's Rest. The cast of characters expanded too rapidly for me to genuinely care about anyone, and the pace slowed to a crawl for the last third of the book. The random mix of reality and completely unexplained supernatural events subconsciously grated at me the entire way.

And the events in WV towards the climax of the book? *sigh* I think that whole sequence could have been chopped and the book would have been the better for it. The entire ending went out with more of a whimper than I had hoped.

McCammon can certainly craft a mighty phrase, though he does use eloquence sparingly (which is a good thing), and I ultimately preferred this version of THE STAND to Stephen King's, but both could have benefited by much tighter plotting IMO.

Enjoyed reading with everyone, but glad to say I've experienced the mighty SWAN SONG and lived to tell the tale! It's probably not the book that is lacking in any way, most likely just my personal preference for reading material that is economical in its use of words, tightly coiled tales with little to no wasted space.