Long After Midnight

Long After Midnight - Ray Bradbury Will add reviews for each story as I make my way through, not necessarily in order:

*** DRINK ENTIRE: AGAINST THE MADNESS OF CROWDS

One of the stranger shorts I've read by Bradbury. His poetic language has gone so mad in this one it's barely controlled, in danger of going off the rails. It doesn't, but not by much. There is a moral to this story of a witch and a broken middle-aged soul in NYC, I am sure, but it is late and the message eludes me. Carpe Diem, perhaps? Enjoyable, but not essential.

***** THE OCTOBER GAME

Somehow this story has evaded me up until now. If you've never read it before, by all means stop reading this review and go track it down immediately. It's short, cruel and wonderful. Bradbury at his darkest. How I wish he would've spent a little more time writing while in this frme of mind. One of the best closing lines in a short story, ever, period.

**** LONG AFTER MIDNIGHT

Short, but beautifully written and effective tale of melancholy and the lifelong battle we all fight against it...I think. It may have had a topical subtext for the times in which it w written as well, but that aspect seems diminished with age, if it ever existed at all.