Wolverton Station

Wolverton Station - Joe Hill Joe Hill delivers another Kindle Single, this one a short story previously published in [b:Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2|9504521|Subterranean Tales of Dark Fantasy 2|William Schafer|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327877238s/9504521.jpg|14390165] in 2011.

A well-written and mostly enjoyable - albeit predictable - Tales from the Darkside-type morality play. Little Red Riding Hood for capitalists, in a matter of speaking. Be prepared to suspend disbelief.

It was a mostly fun read with some good grisly horror, but almost ruined by Joe Hill's insistence on imbuing the story with a sense of anti-American self-loathing that seems to be so popular these days among those born into money. His short story 'Thumbprint' was full of the same pretentiousness - thankfully NOS4A2 was not. The last time I checked, greed and the corruption of power was part of the universal human condition, not something that is an uniquely American trait.

Love Joe Hill - but I hate being force-fed ideology of any kind, especially with my horror. Like medicine sprinkles on ice cream. And the bitter taste it left makes me have to knock a four-star story down to three, to be honest about it. Others may not be as bothered by it.

Decent tale, but not amazing.